Thursday, January 17, 2013

Use of herbal oil with horses

Ayurvedic massages are known to use lots of oil. Unfortunately it is difficult to apply it with horses as it means a very large amount of oil to cover the full body. But it doesn't mean we cannot use some!

I've started to use therapeutic herbal oil in my practice of equine massage. Whenever I feel there is a need because of an injury, a trauma, a condition or just by intuition I will use oil on specific area. Some cases where I used it are:
  • sacroiliac joint recovery from injury
  • flexor avulsion fracture
  • arthritic leg joints (hock and fetlock)
  • neck muscle stiffness and pain
  • hip trauma (muscle and joint)
I use organic ayurvedic oil, a blend of herbs in a base oil and every time the horses just loved it. I always have them smell it and explain what I will do and ask for permission. As for now they always showed a lot of interest in it; actively smelling the aroma with ears upright, eyes bright. Sometimes they even came to the bottle that I carry in my tool belt, showing it to me.

Whenever I can I warm up the oil and apply it warm on the area to treat. I then use circular stroke alternated with friction to help the absorption process. The oil mixture is absorbed into the bloodstream and takes effect from there.

As I said they are therapeutic oil with healing properties. One that use the most is the Mahanarayan oil but I will write a full post about it (there).


No comments:

Post a Comment